Communication Toolkit for Parents and Educators
Starting in 2018-19, all 9th graders will choose whether they want to work toward a Traditional Diploma, or take additional classes to earn an academic, distinguished academic or career and technical education endorsement.
These communication tools were developed for district and school leaders to help train staff and communicate with parents and students about the Mississippi Diploma Options and Traditional Diploma with Endorsement Options. These resources can be modified and personalized to meet individual needs.
- Starting in 2018-19, all 9th graders will choose whether they want to work toward a Traditional Diploma, or take additional classes to earn an academic, distinguished academic or career and technical education endorsement.
- Each diploma option will prepare students to be successful after graduation, whether that be in the workforce, the military, a career and technical training program or college.
- Beginning with the class of 2022, students who earn an academic or distinguished academic diploma endorsement from a public high school will automatically qualify for admission into any of the state’s public universities.
Communication Toolkit Materials:
- Overview: Mississippi High School Diploma and Endorsement Options
- Frequently Asked Questions for Parents Regarding Diploma and Endorsement Options
- Sample Letter to Parents of Students in Grades 7-9
- Brief Videos About Traditional Diploma and Each Endorsement Option:
Diploma + Career and Technical Education Endorsement
Diploma + Academic Endorsement
Diploma + Distinguished Academic Endorsement
Mississippi State Board of Education Policy Manual - see Chapter 36 for graduation policies