Mississippi School Library Guide
The purpose of the Mississippi Public and Nonpublic School Library Guide is to provide guidelines and establish uniformity of policies and procedures for school library programs in Mississippi’s schools. This guide was developed by library professionals who believe that the educational integrity of a school is strengthened by the quality of the services provided by the school library program. The Mississippi School Library Guide includes state and national standards and guidelines that focus on the roles of the school library program and the school librarian as integral components in the teaching and learning process.
The Mississippi School Library Guide is divided into six sections. Overviews of each of the six sections are listed below. For more information regarding each section, click on the section title.
Section 1: Vision, Mission, Standards, Philosophy contains information regarding the Vision and Mission of the Mississippi School Library Programs and how the school libraries advocate the 21st Century Learner Standards, Intellectual Freedom, and the School Library Bill of Rights.
Section 2: An Administrative View explains the responsibilities of administrators, school librarians, and teachers to create a quality school library program that promotes the current College-and-Career Readiness Standards.
Section 3: The Library Learning Environment details the elements of a quality school library learning environment which includes developing a reading program, collaborating with teachers, and planning for instruction.
Section 4: Library Collection contains links and forms in regards to building a school library print and digital collection that connects to the current College-and Career-Readiness Standards and the Mississippi’s Strong Readers - Strong Leaders.
Section 5: Technology showcases the technological goals and objectives for both the school librarian and the school library program.
Section 6: Administration of the School Library outlines the elements of a quality school librarian and school library facility which includes creating budgets, cataloging materials, and promoting library programs.
Tools and Supports
Mississippi Library Monitoring Rubric
- Mississippi Public School Library Monitoring Rubric (2018)
- Mississippi Nonpublic School Library Monitoring Rubric (2018)
- Library Audit Training
Mississippi Librarian Growth Rubric
- Mississippi Librarian Growth Rubric
- NEW Library Data Binder Categories
- NEW Student Learning Outcomes SMART Goal Example
- NEW School Librarian Professional Growth System Training
School Library Presentations
- NEW LAMP 2019: MDE Updates and Librarian Growth Rubric Training
- NEW LAMP 2019: Coding and Literacy
- NEW LAMP 2019: Tech Tools for Writing
- NEW LAMP 2019: K-6 Social Studies Resources
- NEW LAMP 2019: 7-12 Social Studies Resources
- MECEC 2019: Enhancing OWL Vocabulary
- MECEC 2019: Talk, Read, and Sing
- Children's Book Festival 2019: Genrefying Your School Library's Fiction Collection
To subscribe to the Mississippi Library listserv, send an email to Elizabeth Simmons with "Subscribe Library" as the subject of the email. Please include your name, as well as the name of your school and district in Mississippi.