Mississippi Literacy-Based Promotion Initiative
The Office of Elementary Education and Reading is responsible for supporting and training K-3rd grade teachers, curriculum specialists and other educators by providing research-based instructional strategies on literacy and guidance on the implementation of the Literacy-Based Promotion Act. Passed during the 2013 legislative session, the Literacy-Based Promotion Act (LBPA) places an emphasis on grade-level reading skills, particularly as students’ progress through grades K-3. Beginning in the 2014-2015 school year, a student scoring at the lowest achievement level in reading on the established state-wide assessment for 3rd grade will not be promoted to 4th grade unless the student qualifies for a good cause exemption.
The LBPA was amended in 2016 and includes changes such as an Individual Reading Plan (IRP) and increased expectations for 3rd grade students beginning in 2018-2019.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Kymyona Burk, State Literacy Director (K-12), at email@example.com or 601-359-2586. Questions may also be directed to the K-3 Assistant State Literacy Coordinators: LeighAnne Cheeseman, Jill Hoda, Casey Sullivan, or Kristen Wells.
Visit www.strongreadersms.com for the latest resources, activities and news about Mississippi's literacy campaign.
Tools and Supports
State Literacy Plan
Educators and Parents
- Professional Development and Resources for Teachers
- Resources for Administrators
- Literacy Research
- Resources for Parents
- IRP Guidance Webinar
- Kindergarten Integrated Centers for Literacy
- Universal Screener Companion Guide - Diagnostic Assessments
- LBPA FAQs (August 2018)
- Individual Reading Plan (IRP) FAQs
2018-2019 MDE Regional Literacy Trainings - Resources
- ABCs of Coaching Training Binder v3
- Tools for Literacy Training Binder (K-2)
- A Blueprint for Literacy Training Binder (3-5)
- A Blueprint for Literacy 2.0 Training Binder (Alternatives to Test Prep) (3-5)
- Rethink Literacy: Elevating Literacy Practices Training Binder (6-12)
- MDE MS Questar Writing Rubric Training (Webinar)
- MDE MS Questar Writing Rubric Presentation (PDF)
- MDE MS Questar Writing Rubric Training Resources
- Writing Tips
- Student Writing Samples with Annotations (3rd Grade)