The Office of Elementary Education and Reading, Division of Literacy is responsible for supporting and training K-3rd grade teachers, curriculum specialists, and other educators by providing research-based instructional strategies on literacy. Passed during the 2013 legislative session, the Literacy-Based Promotion Act (LBPA) places an emphasis on grade-level reading skills, particularly as students progress through grades K-3.
- Dr. Tenette Smith, Executive Director for the Office of Elementary Education and Reading – email@example.com
- Kristen Wynn, State Literacy Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melissa Beck, K-3 Assessment Coordinator – email@example.com
K-3 Assistant State Literacy Coordinators:
- LeighAnne Cheeseman, EL & LETRS Coordinator/Assistant State Literacy Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelli Crain (Central Region) – email@example.com
- Jill Hoda (Southern Region) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lori Stringer (Northern/Delta Region) – email@example.com
State Literacy Plan:
Literacy Support School(s) Resources and Supports
- Literacy Support Schools 2020-2021
- MDE Limited Support Services 2020-2021
- Literacy Support Schools 2019-2020
Updates for the 2020-21 School Year
Click below to find updated literacy information due to COVID 19. Return to Mississippi Schools: Guidance for the 2020-21 School Year.