Mississippi’s English Learner (EL) population is growing rapidly, with the state now serving more than 12,100 identified EL students. In response to this growth, as well as requests from districts new to serving EL students, we are launching a series of recorded webinars designed to provide administrators, general education teachers, EL tutors and other educators with information on how to effectively serve this population.
For questions regarding EL services, as well as requests for on-site large or small-group professional development, please email Sandy Elliott at email@example.com. Check back often for new resources!
Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy
The purpose of the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy policy is to establish minimum criteria for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in awarding Seals of Biliteracy. The Seal of Biliteracy recognizes and awards students who have attained proficiency in one or more world languages and English by high school graduation. The Seal of Biliteracy demonstrates attainment of biliteracy for students, employers, and postsecondary institutions; and it signals a student's readiness for college and career and for engagement as a global citizen. Participation in the Mississippi Department of Education's Seal of Biliteracy shall be determined by each LEA and will begin during the 2019-2020 school year. Recognition for demonstrating a level of biliteracy shall be indicated on the final high school transcript for students. The purpose of the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy Guidelines is to provide assistance, examples, and resources to local school districts on the process of awarding and recognizing students who are eligible to receive a Seal of Biliteracy.
Tools and Supports
- English Learner Guidelines: Regulations, Funding Guidance and Instructional Supports
- Language Service Plan (Revised 2018)
- How to Write a Language Service Plan
- EL Professional Development Request
- Newcomer Kit introduction
- Newcomer orientation plan template
- Communication cards for elementary students
- Communication cards for secondary students
- Family welcome sheet
- Sentence stem cards
- Visual schedule
EL Literacy Tips of the Month
- Identifying EL Students (Aug. 2017)
- Vocabulary Development (Sept. 2017)
- Comprehension (Oct. 2017)
- Phonological Awareness and Phonics (Nov. 2017)
- Fluency (Jan. 2018)
- Other Webinars