Mississippi’s English Learner (EL) population is growing rapidly, with the state now serving more than 12,100 identified EL students. In response to this growth, as well as requests from districts new to serving EL students, we provide multiple resources for supporting English learners including: recorded webinars, guidance documents, and other resources designed to provide administrators, teachers, EL teachers and tutors, and other educators with information on how to effectively serve English learners and their families.
For questions regarding EL services, as well as requests for on-site large or small-group professional development, please email Sandy Elliott at email@example.com. Check back often for new resources!
Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy
The purpose of the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy policy is to establish minimum criteria for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in awarding Seals of Biliteracy. For more information regarding the State Board Policy, Guidelines, and the process of awarding and recognizing students who are eligible to receive a Seal of Biliteracy, please visit the Mississippi Seal of Biliteracy webpage.
Tools and Supports
MS English Language Proficiency Standards
- NEW Supports for EL Students with Limited or Inconsistent/Interrupted Formal Education (SLIFE)
- NEW Adapting Classroom Assessment for English Learners
- NEW MS English Language Proficiency Standards
- NEW MS English Language Proficiency Standards for ELs with Significant Cognitive Disabilities
- Supporting High-Quality Instruction for English Learners in Onsite, Hybrid, and Remote Learning Environments
- English Learner Parent Guide: English, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Progress Checklist for English Learners
- Guidance on Extended Distance Learning for English Learners (April 2020)
- English Learner Guidelines: Regulations, Funding Guidance and Instructional Supports
- NEW EL Professional Development Request (2022-2023)
- NEW Language Service Plan (Revised 2021)
- MTSS Documentation Packet: Appendix C: Parent Reading Questionnaire (English and Spanish)
- Visual schedule
EL Webinars and Literacy Tips
- Literacy Focus of the Month: August 2017
- Literacy Focus of the Month: September 2017
- Literacy Focus of the Month: October 2017
- Literacy Focus of the Month: November 2017
- Literacy Focus of the Month: January 2018
- How to Write a Language Service Plan (Sept. 2018)
- Additional English Leaner Meetings and Webinar
Family Guides for Student Success
English Learner Updates
Please submit your name and Mississippi school/district email to Subscribe to the EL Listserv.