The Mississippi Department of Education and a host of partners provide a variety of benefits, incentives and assistance programs. These programs are for Mississippi teachers of those that are considering relocating into Mississippi and pursuing a teaching career. Keep in mind that you may qualify for assistance from both state and federal programs.
Mississippi Teacher Benefits
- Mississippi Excellence in Teaching Program
- Mississippi Office of State Financial Aid
- Federal-Student Aid
Loan Repayment Programs
- Federal Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers
- Low-Income Directory
- Loan Forgiveness for Public Service Employees
Important: The Mississippi Department of Education does not administrate your student loan. If you have questions about your loan, please contact Mississippi Office of State Student Financial Aid 1-800-327-2980, or Federal Student Aid 1-800-433-3243.
Critical Shortage Area Incentatives
These incentives attract qualified teachers to those geographical areas of the state and subject area shortage school districts as designated by the State Board of Education (Subject areas of Math, SPED, Science and Foreign Languages).
Moving Expense Reimbursement
- Benefits (reimbursement maximum of $1,000)
- Requirements (district approval; one-time award only)
Contact the local school district office and the MDE Office of School Financial Services: 601-359-3294 / https://www.mdek12.org/OSF
Housing Assistance for Teachers
- Benefits (maximum grant of $6,000 which pays closing costs for teachers)
- Requirements (house must be in same county as school district)
Contact MS Home Corporation at 601-718-4642 / www.mshomecorp.com