2020 MTR Applications
Opens: January 3, 2020
Closes: February 3, 2020
To Apply for Cohort 2 of the Mississippi Teacher Residency, please apply with the Application link below.
Applications will need to be completed in full and documents must be uploaded with the Application. Incomplete Applications will not be reviewed. You will need a copy of the following uploaded:
- Unofficial Transcript
- Praxis Scores (If Available)
- Photograph of Applicant (Identification Purposes Only)
If you have issues with uploading your documents into the MTR Application, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcement of MTR Candidates to move to Interview Process will be announced:
February 24, 2020.
2020 Mississippi Teacher Residency
The Mississippi Teacher Residency (MTR) is a two-year program that combines course-work and on-the job trainings to prepare prospective educators for the teaching profession. The program will enroll 36 candidates for each school year to work toward their undergraduate degree and Mississippi teacher certification. The MTR is part of a statewide strategy to expand and diversify the teacher pipeline so that all students have teachers who are well-prepared, appropriately licensed and can serve as role models.
The MTR program is for people who want to become a teacher, but are not currently enrolled in an educator preparation program. MTR applicants must have an associate degree or at least 60 college credits from a degree program with a minimum 2.75 grade point average. Men and women of color, veterans from the Armed Forces, and junior college graduates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Teacher residents will complete a two-year undergraduate elementary education and special education program while working alongside an experienced teacher mentor in one of four participating districts. The project is funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Residents will receive a full scholarship funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and may receive a housing allowance through the AmeriCorps program.
The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) and the Office of Teaching and Leading (OTL) aspire to provide culturally and linguistically competent residents with tools to become certified educators to meet the needs of Mississippi’s diverse and changing educational programs across the state through leadership, collaboration and service.
The mission of the Mississippi Teacher Residency (MTR) Program is to create opportunities for individuals who aspire to become an effective teacher in diverse classrooms and provide ALL students of Mississippi a deserved world-class education.
- Recruit, prepare, and graduate an increasing number of academically talented, diverse candidates from under-represented groups each year as highly qualified elementary education and special education teachers for high-need schools;
- Design and implement a 24-month teacher residency program for partnership schools that culminates in MS teacher certification and an undergraduate degree;
- Collaborate with partners including Mississippi public schools and educators, school leaders, teacher education and Arts and Sciences faculty, and community-based organizations (CBOs)
to implement and continually improve the teacher residency program;
- Design and implement innovative curricula for the preparation of teacher residents to address the needs presented by students in high-need schools;
- Support the professional development of teachers and leaders in partnership schools, and enhance the capacity of CBOs to work with teachers to meet the educational needs of communities;
- Design and implement a two-year induction program to support the success and retention of program graduates;
- Engage stakeholders in a review of the residency program and to identify lessons that can be applied to other teacher education programs at MDE; Conduct research on the impact of teacher residency programs on teacher retention and student learning.